I grabbed half an hour out of the office today for 'lunch' to enjoy the sunshine and stretch my legs. I stopped to buy Hello! (UK edition) to catch up on 'how the other half live' and was pleasantly surprised to find a 5 page spread featuring Queen Margrethe of Denmark headed 'The Royal Embroiderer'. Every week, she timetables an afternoon off and retreats to her workroom. This 'time out' is vital to her. So it is good to know we're in good company when we sit down to take up our needle and thread ;-) if a Queen can make the time I guess I should try harder myself! It is an interesting feature and reminds me of the wonderful trip I took to Copenhagen with CA Wells a couple of years ago. No wonder there is such an appreciation of handwork in Denmark. Queen Margrethe has embroidered vestments for the country's bishops, illustrated books (JRR Tolkien's 1977 edition of Lord of the Rings), exhibited artwork and also designed costumes for TV programmes, ballets and theatrical works. http://www.hello-magazine.co.uk/.
Mug rug à l'édelweiss
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment